Information on this page was issued by the Montgomery County Department of Public Safety on February 11, 2003. For additional information, go to the Montgomery County Department of Public Safety web site.
Prior to an Event:
- Prepare a family disaster kit. This should include cash, water and food for at least 72 hours (3 days). Water quantity stored should be 1 gallon/person/day. Also include personal items, medicines, and flashlights.
- Plan a family point of contact, including phone numbers and a meeting place.
- Make sure you have a working battery operated radio. Monitor KYW 1060 AM for up to date information.
- This preparation is essentially the same as all households should do prior to severe weather situations.
If a Major Event/Attack Occurs:
- Immediately go inside.
- Close and lock doors and windows.
- Turn off HVAC and appliances.
- Go to a small interior room.
- Seal off openings, doors, windows, fireplace, etc. with plastic and duct tape. Use wet towels at the bottom of doors.
- Monitor KYW radio, 1060 AM for instructions.
- There are no longer "fallout shelters." The current plan is for "sheltering-in-place."
- In the event the Governor orders areas to be evacuated, the American Red Cross will open shelters for those who need a place to stay. This information will be provided through KYW radio, 1060 AM.
FURTHER HOMELAND SECURITY INFORMATION
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Hotline
Food Safety Inspection Service
USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline
Info on obtaining Potassium Iodine (KI) Tablets:
Be Informed about National Emergencies:
How to Prepare for National Emergencies:
Food and Water Safety: