Shade Tree Commission
The Upper Dublin Shade Tree Commission (STC) was established by Ordinance, #870, passed by the Upper Dublin Board of Commissioners on June 14, 1994.
- Establishes the STC as comprising 5 members, residents of Upper Dublin, who are appointed by the Commissioners, and who serve without compensation.
- Defines "Shade Tree" as "any tree having more than fifty percent (50%) of its trunk diameter at breast height within the right-of-way of a public street or on Township property."
- Vests in the STC "exclusive custody and control" of all Shade Trees.
- Requires anyone who wishes to plant, remove, trim or spray a Shade Tree or that portion of any tree, which extends over the right-of-way to obtain STC approval by making a written request to the Township's Director of Public Works, which is submitted to the STC for investigation and approval or disapproval. Use the Tree Pruning-Removal Form for any of these requests.
Since its inception, the Shade Tree Commission has:
- Planted, or given to Township residents to plant, over 2,100 trees through our Annual Planting, Arbor Day and Community Day Programs.
- Compiled a count of Shade Trees on those Township roads designated as "scenic" by the Board of Commissioners.
- Inspected numerous potentially hazardous tree sites.
- Established contact with shade tree commissions in other municipalities and joined the Pennsylvania Urban & Community Forestry Council.
- Initiated several beautification projects, including those at the Dresher Triangle and the Maple Glen Shopping Center.
- Approved tree trimming and removal after careful consideration of the condition of the tree as determined by our tree "experts".
- Created guidelines and permit applications for Public Utilities to prevent unnecessary or improper trimming of street trees in our township.
- Arranged for Upper Dublin to be awarded the prestigious "Tree City USA" designation.
- Continued to meet with interested parties seeking approvals for tree pruning or removal, and replacement tree planting as required by township ordinance.
- Reviewed architect plans and suggested changes to increase the planting of street trees.
Form-Tree Pruning Removal Application (14.1 KiB)
The STC meets monthly, on the 3rd Thursday, at 3:30 p.m. in the Township Building unless otherwise announced. All meetings are open to the public and we, as STC, encourage you to attend. Visit the Township Event Calendar to check on meeting days, dates, times and locations.
STC Meeting Minutes can be downloaded.
Shade Tree Commission Members
|Steven Stone, Chair||June 30, 2020|
|Chris Dartley, Vice Chair||June 30, 2019|
|Ronald Ayres, Secretary||June 30, 2017|
|Glenn Meyer||June 30, 2018|
|Deborah Hoffmann||June 30, 2021|
Contact the Shade Tree Commission
Shade Tree Commission
Upper Dublin Shade Tree Commission
801 Loch Alsh Avenue
Fort Washington, PA 19034
Apply To Serve on the STC
Form-Citizen Board Application (47.9 KiB)
The Shade Tree Commission holds an annual “Adopt a Tree” Day in May. Fifty (50) trees comprising five native species are given free to the first fifty Upper Dublin residents who would like to adopt a tree. The residents come to the township building, pick out a tree, and are responsible for transporting and planting the tree at their residence.
Annual Tree Planting Program
The Upper Dublin Shade Tree Commission has planted several hundred trees throughout the Township in its Annual Tree Planting Program. It seeks suggestions from Upper Dublin residents and property owners for locations for future plantings. You may suggest your own property, public or other private property. The Shade Tree Commission is especially interested in locations where a mature tree will shade sidewalks and streets. Please mail your suggestions to the address listed or send via email to either person listed above.
Emerald Ash Borer
Champion Tree Program
The National Register of Big Trees is a non-profit group that maintains a list of the largest living specimens of each tree variety found in the continental United States. A tree on this list is often called a National Champion Tree. This list has been maintained since 1940. Each state has its own list of Champion Trees.
Upper Dublin Township's Shade Tree Commission (STC) is proposing to collect data on historic township trees and create a Historic Tree Registry. A tree qualifies when it is of magnificent size, significant age, or unusual species. More information on the STC efforts and how you can help will be coming soon.
Download the Specimen Tree Inventory Consent to Publish Form. Details on form.
Form-Specimen Tree Inventory Consent (8.0 KiB)
Tree Care Links
- Buying Quality Trees
- Construction-Protecting Trees Before Construction
- Construction-Limiting Damage after Construction
- Hiring an Arborist
- Holistic Plant Care
- Insect and Disease Problems
- Mature Tree Care
- Mulching Trees-Why Mulch? How?
- Planting New Trees
- Planting, Pruning and PowerPoints
- Pruning-Don't Top Trees
- Pruning-How to Prune Trees
- Pruning-Young Trees
- Recognizing Tree Hazards
- Trees and Turf
- Tree Selection
- What Kind of Tree Do I Have?