Health Frequently Asked Questions

Health Department

Q. What agency is the Health Department for Upper Dublin Township?

A. The Montgomery County Health Department. is the health agency for the Township as of January 1, 2008. See the main health page for a list of services that they provide.

Heating Bill Assistance

Q. How do I obtain assistance to pay my heating bill?

A. The Pennsylvania Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps low income people pay their heating bills through energy assistance grants. To apply , you may call or visit your local County Assistance Office (Montgomery County Assistance Office, 1931 New Hope Street, Norristown, PA 19401 Phone (610) 270-3500) or you can apply on line at PA COMPASS. To apply you will need the following:

  • Names of people in the household
  • Dates of birth for people in the household
  • Social Security Numbers for all household members
  • Proof of income for members of the household
  • A copy of a recent heating bill

If you have any questions, call the LIHEAP hotline at 1-866-857-7095 or LIHEAP at (610) 272-1752.

AIDS Information

Q. Where can I get information an AIDS and other disease issues?

A. The most comprehensive source on diseases and prevention as well as travel risks, diseases and prevention is available through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Vaccination requirements, current outbreaks and health tips can be found at CDC Travel Advisory web page. Free and confidential AIDS testing is available through the County at the Norristown Health Center (610) 278-5145.

Birth Certificates

Q. Where can I get a copy of my Birth Certificate?

A. Most parents receive a birth registration from the hospital where the child is born. This is NOT a Birth Certificate. A Birth Certificate contains a raised seal and is issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or a designated agent. Birth Certificates are available from the PA Department of Health Vital Records Division. For fast service call the center located in Scranton, PA at (570) 963-4595. There is a fee. Credit cards are accepted. If the person was born after 1959, a copy may also be obtained from the Philadelphia Health Department, Division of Vital Records located at 1400 W. Spring Garden Street in Philadelphia. Telephone (215) 560-6011. Birth Certificates can also be ordered online from the PA Department of Health.

Death Certificates

Q. Where can I get a copy of a Death Certificate?

A. Death Certificates are available through the Vital Records Office located in New Castle, PA. Telephone (724) 656-3100. There is a fee. Death Certificates can also be ordered online from the PA Department of Health.

Pet Ownership

Q. What are my responsibilities as a pet owner?

A. Your pet dog, cat or ferret over three months of age must be vaccinated against rabies. Your pet dog must be licensed. Dogs cannot run at large and must be on a leash when off the property of the owner or keeper. You must clean up after your pet. The Township "Pooper Scooper Law" requires pet owners to clean up after their pet and dispose of the animal feces in a sanitary manner. Please do not throw the waste down a storm sewer. Pets cannot create a nuisance by making continuous noise or by creating odors. For more detailed information, check out the Township Code, Chapter 64 - Animals.

Q. Do I need a license for my pet?

A. Only dogs are required to be licensed. The County of the owner's residence issues dog licenses. These can be obtained from the Montgomery County Treasurer, located across from the Court House in Norristown. Special discounts apply for disabled persons and senior citizens. You must provide proof of status to the Treasurer. Treasurer's web page.


Q. How do I discourage rats?

A. Rats, like squirrels, can be found anywhere. They can breed rapidly if provided food and often take up residence within a home if given the opportunity. The principal sources of rats at private residences have been found to be the result of bird feed on the ground or leaving garbage exposed. Use feeders that have trays to catch the spillage of birdseed. Place all garbage in metal cans with tight fitting lids. If you feed your pet outdoors, remove the food if it is not eaten within 20 minutes. Clean up after your pet. Inspect your foundation and basement windows for points of entry. Rats can squeeze through spaces the size of a quarter. Mice only need space the size of a dime. A good temporary packing is plain steel wool until the repair is completed.

Will the Township bait my property for rats?

A. No. Extermination is the responsibility of the property owner.

Grass Height

Q. What are the regulations regarding permitted grass height?

A. No person who is the owner of any improved or unimproved lot is permitted to allow that lot to become overgrown with grass, weeds or noxious plants exceeding a height of ten (10) inches. Report property maintenance issues using connectUpperDublin, our Citizen Engagement Center. Submit a Code Enforcement Issue/Problem Here.

Upper Dublin Public Library

Visit the library website!


Parks & Rec

Check out the Parks & Recreation Website & Online Registration.


Report an Issue

Would you like to report an issue?

Call Upper Dublin Township,

at (215) 643-1600 ext. 0

Bottom Right Link