Christmas Tree Safety
Visit the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) web site for comprehensive information (2011).
USE THESE TIPS TO HELP MAKE YOUR TREE FIRE RETARDANT
- Fill a bucket with at least 2 -gallons of HOT WATER and stir in the following ingredients:
A pint of Karo White Corn Syrup
4 ounces of Liquid Bleach
1/2 teaspoon of 20-Mule Team Borax
2 ounces of Kitchen Vinegar
2 ounces of liquid Joy or Woolite
- Cut the bottom inch or two off the trunk. Stand the tree in the container of the solution for 5 days to soak up the mixture. This will make the tree fire retardant.
- Before bringing the tree indoors, apply a light coating of Petroleum Jelly to the bottom of the trunk while the tree is still in the solution. This will slow the absorption rate and keep the tree fire retardant.
- Select a tree stand that is large and holds a large quantity of water and pour the solution into the stand.
- Finally, mist the tree daily with water from a spray bottle.