A New Chapter
Welcome to the project site of the new community building at 520 Virginia Drive in Fort Washington, PA, currently under renovation and slated to open in Spring 2020.
In 2017, Upper Dublin Township seized the opportunity to purchase and adaptively reuse a former corporate headquarters facility as a veritable community hub with a newly expanded Upper Dublin Public Library (UDPL) at its center. Certain to be a popular community destination, the facility boasts an existing 300-seat auditorium and café on the first floor and a two-story entry lobby and a "Great Hall" with naturally-lit clerestory on the second floor.
The first phase of the project, currently underway, includes construction of the new Library and improvements to the mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. Currently, the UDPL is scheduled to relocate and open at 520 Virginia Drive in Spring 2020.
What's the Latest?
- February 2020: Partitions and soffits completed. Electrical and control systems near completion. Furnishings & interior design completed. Refurbishment of Air Handling Units ongoing soon to be completed. Door and window frames installed on 1st floor. Painting on 2nd floor completed. To stay on top of the latest Library news & moving updates go here.
- January 2020: Book Drop lane under construction. PECO installed new gas meter. Furnishings & interior design selections are near completion. Interior Painting has begun. Plumbing systems including rough-in piping for restrooms & testing of underground storm water piping completed. Wall electrical rough-ins and inspections ongoing
- November/December 2019: Installation of VAV mechanical units, new boilers, including vent piping, gas service piping 100% completed. Construction of interior partitions and soffits completed on 2nd floor, nearing completion on 1st floor. Plumbing systems proceeding including sprinkler system and storm piping. New fire alarm wiring proceeding. Library staff evaluate interior finishes.
- October 2019: Construction of stud framing on 2nd floor underway. Study/Meeting Rooms and STEAM Lab begin to take shape. Work continues on HVAC system, piping and duct insulation.
- September 2019: Senator Vincent Hughes honors Upper Dublin's $1 million Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program grant. New boilers installed and 2nd floor Great Hall, seating, and book stack areas beginning to emerge.
- August 2019: Upper Dublin Township Receives $1 Million Grant for New Library
Want project updates straight to your inbox? Click here to sign up for our e-news.
At the heart of this new community hub will be the Upper Dublin Public Library, newly designed to serve the rapidly-evolving needs of a 21st century community. This facility design recognizes the increasing value of public libraries as centers of knowledge and public spaces for connecting, convening, and collaborating. The new UDPL will contain:
- Expanded and browse-able book and media collections.
- Flexible learning spaces, well-equipped for quiet individual use, group collaboration, meetings and events.
- A children’s library, with developmentally-appropriate spaces, collections and programs designed to inspire a love of reading and learning.
- Expanded classes, lectures, performances, book groups and other opportunities for lifelong learners.
- Improved and enhanced STEAM Lab (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) for engaging in the Maker movement and building 21st century skills.
- Powerful virtual connections with a 20-workstation computer lab and robust Wi-Fi throughout the facility.
- 300-seat auditorium, which will be publicly available for lectures, musical performances, civic functions, business meetings, seminars and conferences.
- A café and additional meeting spaces, also available for various public uses and events.
Who is Doing the Renovations?