U.S. approves revised Floodplain Maps for Fort Washington Office Park
On May 3, 2018, FEMA notified Upper Dublin Township that a new floodplain map was approved for the properties in the vicinity of the Flood Control Projects along Rapp Run and Pine Run. These new floodplain maps affect most of the properties within the Fort Washington Office Park, including many properties with reduced floodplain burdens. A series of links below provides further information on the impacts of the properties.
- Copy of the letter from FEMA approving the revised floodplain line
- Section of revised floodplain near Turnpike
- Section of revised floodplain between Camp Hill and Susquehanna
- Section of revised floodplain above Susquehanna
The Fort Washington Office Park is the primary center of business and industry in Upper Dublin Township. This 536 acre, multi-use modern business park is strategically located at the crossroads of the PA Turnpike and PA Route 309, in the heart of suburban eastern Montgomery County and only fourteen miles from Center City Philadelphia. This regional commerce center consists of 123 properties with 66 buildings, containing roughly 6 million square feet of commercial space. This includes Class A office facilities, back-office operations, distribution and manufacturing, hotel, restaurant and recreation uses.
The Fort Washington Office Park offers a number of advantages and assets to businesses that locate here:
- Roadway access: Immediate access to interstate and regional roadways
- Public transit: Washington SEPTA regional rail station and commuter link buses serve the office park
- Workforce: local labor pool provides employers with a broad range of skills and education
- Housing: excellent options for executives, management and staff employees in beautiful suburban communities within minutes from the office park
- Education: award-winning public schools and variety of private schools - pre-K through university
- Recreation: a broad selection fitness facilities athletic fields and trails in and near the park
- Dining: various business lunch and dinner options and new restaurants in development.
- Hotels and meeting space: nearby properties recently renovated and more in development
- Business-friendly environment – supportive municipal and county governments
A large-scale improvement program is now underway to implement a sustainable revitalization plan of the office park. Major new public and private investment in the park began with Upper Dublin Township’s completion of two large flood retarding structures in December 2013. The Pine Run and Rapp Run dry dams, upstream from the office park, are effectively reducing the historically-persistent flooding. Additional infrastructure improvements are now moving forward including roadway and bridge reconstruction, a new trail system, further storm water management projects and new building design standards. Also in the planning stages is additional Turnpike access including a quick exit (zip) ramp from the PA 309/Fort Washington Turnpike exit directly into the center of the office park and the completion of the Virginia Drive Turnpike Slip Ramp to provide eastbound on/off access.
Transfer of Development Rights (TDR) Ordinance
New businesses are coming to the Fort Washington Office Park. New development opportunities exist as a result of the Upper Dublin Township Commissioners’ enactment of a Transfer of Development Rights (TDR) ordinance. It was created to stimulate mixed-use, higher-density redevelopment in the park, through the creation and transfer of development credits. Property owners in flood-affected areas are provided incentives to transfer their properties for their redevelopment credit value, with a market-based valuation of their property interest. This innovative zoning approach is beginning to impact the local market, with developers exploring the new opportunities here.
Fort Washington Office Park Development Build-out Map
This new site development modeling tool estimates potential build-out for every "receiving" parcel in the Fort Washington Office Park, under the TDR ordinance. The interactive map calculates the potential development for new multifamily residential, office, retail and hotel projects in the office park.
This Township project seeks to develop programs and policies that result in new transit alternatives for commuters to the Fort Washington Office Park - to reduce roadway congestion, improve air quality, and enhance the park’s competitiveness as a business location. Ultimately these programs will help businesses to attract and retain employees, and enhance quality of life.
- Report-FWOP-Sustainable Revitalization Plan (3.7 MiB)
- Report-FWOP-Technical Memo 1: Sending Area (0.2 MiB)
- Report-FWOP-Technical Memo 2: Receiving Area (1.0 MiB)
- Report-FWOP-Technical Memo 3: Characteristics of Potential TDR Sending and Receiving Areas (1.4 MiB)
- Report-FWOP-Technical Memo 4: Mechanism for the Transfer of Development Rights (0.6 MiB)
H2O Grant & Flood Retarding Structures
Economic evaluation procedures, assumptions, and methodologies for the flood retarding structures in Upper Dublin Township:
A resolution of the Upper Dublin Township Board of Commissioners authorized the request of an H2O PA Grant under Act 63 of 2008 from the Commonwealth Financing Authority to be used for the construction of two dry-impound flood mitigation structures:
Resolution-10-2055-H2O Grant (136.6 KiB)