About Upper Dublin Township
To work with each other and the community to make Upper Dublin Township the best place to live, work and play.
- People – We appreciate the talents of each person and encourage responsible decision making at the most appropriate level. We recognize the importance of personal and professional development.
- Creativity – We encourage imaginative problem solving, innovation, resourcefulness and responsible risk taking.
- Quality – We strive to provide superior services and are committed to continuous improvement. We are attentive to the changing needs of the people and community we serve.
- Integrity – We seek honesty, accountability and trustworthiness. We admit – to ourselves, our supervisors, our elected officials, and our residents – when we’ve made a mistake and seek to correct it as
best we can.
- Openness – We wish to be accessible and work as a team by sharing information, ideas, resources and responsibility. We encourage contact from our residents to better explain the services we provide, and to listen to their suggestions.
- Respect – We welcome individual and professional differences and treat everyone – co-workers, supervisors, elected officials and residents – with dignity, courtesy and sensitivity.
Upper Dublin became a First Class Township in 1946. The elected representatives (Commissioners) serve 4 year terms. The government is a Council/Manager type. There are seven Commissioners, one for each ward. The Township Manager runs the day to day operations with his staff. There are seven departments: Administration, Finance, Library, Public Works Services, Police, Parks and Recreation, and Code Enforcement. The fire protection is provided primarily by the Fort Washington Fire Company No. 1 volunteers, with dispatch from the Montgomery County central station.
Request scout merit badge reference sheets about our Local, State and Federal Governments via e-mail from Derek Dureka, Director of Parks and Recreation.
Guide-Know Your Township (139.5 KiB)
History of Upper Dublin Township
Upper Dublin dates back to the Colonies in 1684, when Edward Tanner named his land grant from William Penn “Upper and Lower Dublin.” The “lower” portion has since been absorbed by Philadelphia. The “upper” portion has continued to exist around the original survey for the laying out and naming of Susquehanna Road.
Upper Dublin Township was established in 1701, when William Penn ordered a survey of all townships in the Commonwealth. It was first settled in 1698 and was incorporated in 1719 according to records from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission regarding Montgomery County municipalities. The county itself was formally created on September 10, 1784. The Township was granted its current status of First Class Township in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on January 1, 1946.
Originally the area started as a farming community with additional activity in the mining of limestone. Limekiln Pike today continues to be an important travel artery.
Historically the Township boasts of George Washington’s headquarters at the Emlen House in 1777. This was during the Whitemarsh Encampment, prior to the fateful march to Valley Forge. George Emlen, a Philadelphia Quaker, had built this family summer house around 1745.